Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Ubuntu: Transmission Nightmares

I usually download torrents using µTorrent. But yesterday I wanted to download and checkout Slackware Linux. At that time I was working on a program on Ubuntu. So I just thought of downloading the Slackware torrent using the default Ubuntu Torrent Client: Transmission. After downloading for about 4 hours continuously, I was able to get roughly 1 GB of the torrent. As I was feeling sleepy, I shutdown Transmission and my computer, thinking that I would resume downloading the next day. What I did not notice was the download bar that was showing downloaded pieces in two colors: blue - for completely downloaded pieces and yellow - for partially downloaded pieces.

Today when I fired Transmission on, it told me it had downloaded only about 500 MBs!! Where did the rest of my download go? After some Googling, it seemed that quite a few people have faced the same problem. What Transmission does, is that, it starts downloading a lot of pieces even if it already has many partially complete pieces. So when a user tries to resume a download, it only shows the pieces that were downloaded completely!

Anyhow, I had to search for some alternatives and came across two choices:
1. Either run µTorrent using Wine
2. Use another BitTorrent client.

As I don't like running my apps using Wine, I downloaded Deluge. It has a neat user interface that is very similar to µTorrent. Plus, I haven't had any problems with my downloads till now.

I hope this helps anyone who falls into a similar problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your views and opinions are always welcome. Please leave a comment.